Tribute ale &
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours
Serves: 4 people
- Preheat oven to 150°C, gas mark 2 or 300°F. Place a large, heavy based oven proof casserole pan with lid, on a medium heat and add the oil.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and fry each side in the casserole pan on a medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes or until a perfect golden brown. Cook the meat in batches, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Into the casserole pan, add the shallots, bacon, mushrooms, carrots, garlic and chopped thyme leaves and lightly brown. Stir in the tomato purée and plain flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Return the beef and the beef juices to the pan and combine with the shallot mixture. Add the Tribute, stock, parsley, bay leaves and orange zest. Put on the lid and cook gently in the oven for 2 1⁄2 – 3 hours.
- Season and serve with glazed carrots, green vegetables, mash and, of course, a pint of Tribute ale.
4 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1kg blade of beef, cut into 5cm pieces
14 shallots, peeled
200g pancetta, cut into cubes
200g mushrooms, cut into chunks
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp chopped thyme leaves
1 tbsp tomato purée
2 tbsp plain flour
700ml Tribute pale ale
300ml beef stock
2 tbsp flat leaf parsley chopped
2 bay leaves
Zest of 1 orange